Monday, August 28, 2023

Teddy Don't Worry, Your Mommy Is Here (Never Reissued)

REDDY TEDDY - REDDY TEDDY (1976)

 
All of the founding band members were longtime friends who'd been in the same grade at school: Matthew MacKenzie (guitar), John Morse (vocals),Ted von Rosenvinge (bass) and Joe Marino (drums).
After the finish of Reddy Teddy , the members went their separate ways. John and Joe returned to school, and Scott joined Robin Lane and the Chartbusters. Matt went to NYC and after a brief hitch with Richard Lloyd to make a 1979 album, he took the rhythm section (Fred Smith and Vinny DeNunzio) upstate for a demo at Todd Rundgren's Bearsville, NY studios. Then, after returning to Boston, Matt joined the Taxi Boys (John Felice, Billy Cole and Bobby Bear). He rejoined Willie Alexander, and was responsible for guitar and background vocals in The Confessions.In 1988, at the age of 36, Matthew passed away from injuries sustained in an auto accident in Medford, Massachusetts.
 
WU (254 mb)

3 comments:

Noises From Apt 2A said...

Angelo, I'm here on your site running wild ! Thanks again for directing over from the OldRockerBR blog to pick up the Pezband postings. Many of the records you've posted were part of my now lost record collection and I truly appreciate not only the posting but also the quality of your rips & artwork folders in each album. There is a lot of love and care going into your work and it shows.
On to Reddy Teddy ... I remember seeing this album in shops that sold indie releases back in the 70s / 80s but I never got a copy. This is truly a lost classic !!! They should've been picked up by a major label ... another lost opportunity for the music buying public.
Since my band (The Fast) used to play Boston a lot back in those days (Cantones , The Rat, etc), I'm sure we must've shared a bill with them once or twice.
Anyway, thanks again for the labor of love hard work you're doing.... Cheers !

angelo said...

thanx for the comment, totally agree about Reddy Teddy - i remember where i bought the LP, it was pinned on a wall of the record store, along with the first Real Kids, the Shoes, the Scruffs and and more of the power pop era - of course the record didn't last long but i still have the LP's

and now the question: were you a member of The Fast (the ones on Sharp Cuts ?)

Bruce Brodeen said...

An important note to add to this important legacy entry, Angelo. I thought you knew about this but evidently not. Not Lame Recordings released a 2-CD set in 2004 with most of this album appearing along with many rare Reddy Teddy and Matthew MacKenzie post-RT trax. I put it together closely with bass player, Ted von Rosenvinge, who was a rock star in getting all the pieces together(the project never would have happened w/o him).

I grew up in Boston, picked up the original album in '76 as a 14 yr old(direct from the label), was always a big fan and wanted to hear more - so when the opportunity came to do the project w/ Ted, I embraced it. It was a passion project for me, for sure...and was out of the wheelhouse of Not Lame's focus, so it didn't do well, very sadly. Still, it was one of the label's 120 or so releases I most happy about being in the position to do, if only to just archive the band and the man, and get it out there so it would be discovered years on. I wish Not Lame could have done more with it but the support from its core audience was just not there for obscure Boston (melodic) 70s semi-hard rock band.

Surprised it's not fetching more on Discogs(If I recall correctly, 600 'pressed' up by NL, around 300 went to the band, NL sold about 200), so anyone seeing this and into the band, snap it up. https://www.discogs.com/release/8728535-Reddy-Teddy-Matthew-MacKenzie-Teddy-Boy-A-Tribute-to-Matthew-MacKenzie