Saturday, February 3, 2024

More from Scott Kempner (and his Gang)

THE DEL LORDS - FRONTIER DAYS (1984, Expanded 2010)

The group’s debut album, Frontier Days, proved that Scott Kempner (former Dictators who passed away in 2023) knew enough to hold on to several of the Dictators’ key virtues (quick wit and hard rock passion) while adding a few touches of his own (left-leaning politics with a strong blue-collar stripe, a sound that blended the best of blues, country, and no-frills barroom rock), while Eric “Roscoe” Ambel hadn’t lost touch with the streamlined kick-ass rock & roll that was the hallmark of his former boss, Joan Jett.

In 2010, Frontier Days made its belated CD debut in a new edition from American Beat Records. For the reissue, Frontier Days was expanded with five bonus tracks, featuring demos of “Shame on You” and “Heaven” — the latter appeared on the group’s second album, Johnny Comes Marching Home - and rough takes of “Wastin’ Time Talkin’,” “Love Among the Ruins,” and “Love on Fire.”. The new version also includes liner notes from Scott Kempner on how the band came together and the recording of Frontier Days; it’s great reading for fans of the band, and folks who’ve been carefully protecting their aging vinyl copies of the album will definitely want to pick up the CD release. AMG.
 
WU (383 mb)

3 comments:

RicksterVC said...

Angelo,

I'm glad that your back-your insight to power pop was always appreciated. There is a lot to be said for a 3 minute pop song.

Over the years, I looked forward to your Summer Comps, which I would burn to a disc and play constantly in my car. Somehow, though, I lost "Summer Takes All," "Long Promised Beach," and "The Restless Summer," and never downloaded "Summer Breeze." I have all the rest, though.

With the demise of Zippyshare, I was hoping that you could re-upload those summer comps (all of them might be nice for those who missed them the first time around). I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks for all you've done.

KARK said...

I have this album both on vinyl and cassette tape, but not on CD. Therefore, a big THANK YOU!

piratecyan or was it magenta said...

Thanks for the bonus version. I have this on vinyl that I bought around when it originally first came out.