Thursday, July 9, 2026

Initial Pressing (Hand Made Sleeve)

SPUNK (Original Vinyl Edition) (1977)

Spunk was the title of the bootleg album released in the United Kingdom early October 1977. Some first editions were sold in one of a variety of sleeves, either hand made by the label, distributor or retailer. Later some sleeves were just plain white. You can see how was mine
 
The inner sleeve is the same used as for NMTB a few days later. 
White inner sleeve with PATENT Nos. 1.125.555 (lower left corner)
MADE IN GREAT BRITAIN (Lower right corner)


The album comprises studio demos and chatter recorded during 1976 and early 1977, while Glen Matlock was still a member of the group. Most of the songs would later be re-recorded with Steve Jones playing the bass and officially released on the group's debut album.

The original Spunk was itself copied and bootlegged immediately upon release. The tracks have since been re-bootlegged countless times in many different formats, including a widespread variant called No Future UK, which added three extra tracks, and many releases by Dave G., which often feature evidence of remixing or other post-production tampering. Spunk has also been the subject of several official releases.

The LP i have ripped is the original SPUNK. The fact is that i bought the LP in 1977 after i'd read the Chas De Whalley feature in Sounds (22/10/1977) and included in a special folder here. The 1996 limited edition of "NMTBHTSP" which had Spunk as a bonus CD featured some edited chatter parts of the band (specially at the beginning of "Lots of Fun")

As i've read the same matrix numbers shown below on my copy, the original copies can be identified by the matrix numbers engraved in the dead wax.

SIDE 1
matrix number LYN 4732-111 + BLA 169-A
SIDE 2
matrix number LYN 4733-111 + BLA 169-B
 
SPUNK (305 mb)

9 comments:

Noises From Apt 2A said...

Angelo, This is a neat treat. I am one of the people who bought "Never Mind ... with the additional CD but I'm looking forward to hearing your rip. Cheers !

CarlosUS said...

Thanks Angelo!!

GianniZ said...

Cheers

Skinny the Snide said...

I had this and lost it in my many moves. Delighted to have it once again. Thanks, Angelo!

lancasterguy said...

Thank you for this. I bought all the singles and album at the time, but could never bring myself to buy any of the reissues on cd, so this is all new to me. Much less produced than the final album and all the better for it.

YankeeBoy said...

What a wonderful piece of R&R history. Thank you for bringing it back to life for so many of us.

Iceman said...

I have no idea how long it takes to rip vinyl and then work your technical magic to make each disc pop alive, but dang you are good! I feel especially lucky that I have rarely heard any of the albums in your great collection. I admire your Deadication! Keep on truckin'

lmelis said...

What a treat! Thanks a lot Angelo

powerpoplovers said...

Thank you so much.